Due to the current situation, I’m spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Baking bread, cooking elaborate meals and bringing all the comforting flavours we crave. One day Hubby said I want a cake with oranges and a lot of cardamom. The good wife that I am, I delivered. Then tweaked the recipe a bit to make it even better and decided to share it, in case you ever crave a simple orange cake with a lot of cardamom.
Orange pound cake with cardamom
3 eggs (medium)
45g brown sugar
45g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange blossom water (you can replace this with orange essence or add more orange juice)
orange zest of one big orange (about 2tbsp)
juice of 1/2 orange (about 50 ml)
160 g plain white flour
1 tsp baking powder
150 g brown butter (see this video to learn how to make brown butter)
a few orange slices, soak them in gin for that extra flavour boost
- Preheat the oven to 175°C fan-forced or 190°C conventional. Grease a loaf pan and line with a baking paper.
- Mix together eggs and both sugars until frothy. Add vanilla extract, orange blossom water, cardamom, cinnamon, orange zest & juice.
- Stir in the flour & baking powder. Slowly pour in the butter. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pan. Smooth the surface and top with orange slices.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Test with a toothpick – if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Let cool on a wire rack.